Friday, February 27, 2009

Stress Eating

I think we all are stress eaters, we go for the junk when we are overwhelmed or sad. It is our drug that helps us feel better - temporarily anyway. I always read things that say when you are stressed and feel like eating sweets to eat some fruit or drink some water, but that is a bunch of crap! It never works, I just end up eating an apple and then give into the sweets. At these moments my body is not looking for nutrition, my mind is looking for relief and doesn't know where else to get it. I think like Kristin said that it is important to have a plan before you are in the stressful situation. We can't just remove bad habits, we need to replace them with something good. We need to find something else that can bring us relief other than food. Things like exercising, reading a book, taking a bath, going for a drive, etc. So when something comes up we turn to that thing instead of food. I know it is easier said than done, but it is the only thing that has helped me. I am praying that after some practice it won't seem so hard any more and my insticts won't go that direction automatically. So Rachael I feel your pain, but I think you are doing great! Don't let one slip bring you down, we all willl have those moments. I am so glad we are doing this together, it has been a great motivation for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment